Myth debunked; don't believe everything

Updated: Jan 26

Drinking 8 glasses of water a day:


Drinking 8 glasses or 2-3 liters of water a day is recommended for a good health. However, the amount of water needed varies by person weight, diet, activity level, clothing, environment (heat, humidity). Studies found that in different environmental conditions, organisms including human adapt biologically and behaviorally to moderate water intake.


The total amount of water intake includes foods and beverages. It is assumed that approximately 20% - 30% of total water intake comes from food sources and the remaining 70% - 80% from liquids (tea, coffee, milk, juice, etc.) we drink. So, how do I know the amount of water intake is enough for my body? Well, for that, your fluid intake is probably adequate if you rarely feel thirsty and your urine is colorless or light yellow.


Drinking too much water can be dangerous sometimes. Excess water intake may cause hyponatremia. It is a condition when kidney cannot get rid of excess water and the sodium content of blood becomes diluted. It can be life threatening.

(Sodium is an important electrolyte required for maintaining the water balance in and around the cells and proper functioning of muscles and nerves.)


Reading in dim light ruins eyesight:


You must have warned by your parents not to study in low light following a reason that may damage your eyesight. Our eyes are designed in such a way that it adjusts to different light level. If you try to read in low light, your pupils dilate in order to take more light through the lens onto the retina. The cells in the retina called rods and cones use this light to provide information to the brain about what you see.


When you are in a dark room, at first you can’t see anything but gradually after few moments accustomed to it. If you switch on a light, initially it feels unbearably bright until your pupil readjusts to it. Similar thing happens when you try to read in dim light and the eyes adjust to it. Reading in dim light can’t cause any long-term damage to the physiology of eye, but may cause fatigue and discomfort. Because your eyes are working hard to focus. Some people find the strain gives them headache.


The best way to position a reading light is to pointing directly onto the page you read and not over your shoulder.


Cholesterol is bad:


Cholesterol generally tends to get a bad picture. Actually, cholesterol balance is vital for proper cellular and systemic function. It is a waxy substance made by liver. It is required for insulating nerves, synthesis of certain hormones, bile acid and vitamin D. It plays an important role in heart health.


Cholesterol can be both good and bad. High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is good and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is bad cholesterol. HDL has a lot protein and very little cholesterol in it whereas LDL has little protein and high level of cholesterol. High cholesterol level in blood serum leads to high risk of arteries and heart related diseases (cardiovascular diseases). LDL is the main cause of artery clogging plaque. HDL works to clear cholesterol from blood.


Standard tests are there to screen cholesterol level in blood which show the levels of each type of fats in your blood. The recommended level of LDL is below 70mg/dl in a person at risk of cardiovascular disease.



If you want more posts like this, please leave your comments in the comment section.


33 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Subscribe Form

Stay up to date

© 2020 Copyright Knight Blogs | All Rights Reserved                                                                                            CLICK HERE TO CONTACT